News

More wells in Upper Makefield show contaminants, new meeting announced

Published Friday, February 21, 2025

Upper Makefield Township residents have reported that two more wells have tested positive for chemical contamination near a recent pipeline leak in Washington Crossing. The wells are outside the boundaries of the area where pipeline operator Sunoco believed an earlier identified leak could have spread. Complaints of strange odors and tastes from well water in the area first started in September 2023 to the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection, leading to an order to investigate from the federal Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA). On Jan. 31, Sunoco “reported a release of 156 barrels of jet fuel” to PHMSA and found a 2.5-inch crack in the Twin Oaks pipe. The pipeline was turned back on two days after the leak was discovered. Congressman Brian Fitzpatrick (R, PA-1), state Sen. Steve Santarsiero (D-10), state Rep. Perry Warren (D-31) and Upper Makefield Township supervisors have all requested that the pipeline be shut down pending further inspection of the pipe. However, Bryan Lethcoe, PHMSA administrator, said that the leak had been repaired and by statutory regulations he could not shut down the 100-plus-mile pipeline without a clear need for more repairs. Pennsylvania Department of Health toxicologist Julie Miller said residents could call her office when they get the results of their water testing to determine if they need to have a filtration system installed or take other safety measures. She said to contact dehe@pa.gov or call 717-787-3350. Another meeting about the leak will take place Thursday, Feb. 27, at 7:30 p.m. at the Sol Feinstone Elementary School.
Source: Bucks County Herald; 2/14/2025 & Bucks County Courier Times; 2/17/2025